Saturday, August 25, 2007

Keep doin' what you're doin'


Saturday morning. Daniel was on IM for a bit. He said he had just gotten back from chow and a mortar attack. I asked him what a mortar attack was like. He said, "You just keep eating. There's not much else you can do." It is amazing to me that after 2 or 3 days there, they have acclimated to live munitions being lobbed at them.

Speaking of lobbing, why the lob-ster? Apparently if they are on duty at midnight, occasionally midnight chow will feature lobster. I don't know how fresh it is ..... Maybe the mortar rounds are safer :)

I asked whether they sent patrols out to find the person doing the firing and he said, "No. They generally fire and then get the heck out. Usually they don't hit anything other than dirt or a road. They are just hoping for a lucky shot." I would prefer to think there are angels doing batting practice with the incoming rounds!

No comments: